What is it:
There will be a pot luck dinner (feel free to bring your favorite foods) and the Old Town Sidewalk Astronomers will have high-powered telescopes set up and experts on hand to guide us through the night sky. The sun sets around 5pm, so the best star viewing will be a little later that evening. Weather permitting, we should be able to view distant planets and galaxies and see the Milky Way.
When is it:
Saturday, November 11, 2017. Feel free to get to the campground earlier and set up your tent before we lose daylight. Food and telescope set up will begin around 3pm. Depending on your schedule, plan on exploring the Mojave National Preserve earlier in the day on Saturday, or the next day!
Where is it:
Things to bring:
- During November, the desert can be warm during the day but cold at night. Keep an eye on weather forecasts so you can figure out what clothing layers to bring.
- Water and reusable water bottles! The desert is a dry place and dehydration can sneak up on you quickly. Always carry extra water and don't hike without it.
- Bring a tent, sleeping bag, or whatever other camping gear you need to have a comfortable night under the stars. There is plenty of room throughout the Black Canyon Group Campground to set up your own tents. If for whatever reason the event is more popular than we anticipate, the nearby Hole-in-the-Wall Campround is another great place to pitch your tent.
- We recommend bringing a headlamp or flashlight because the campground will be quite dark (perfect for stargazing). However, consider getting a flashlight or headlamp with a red light option or cover the light with plastic wrap (you can use a red marker on the plastic). Bright lights can ruin the night vision we all need to see the stars above, but red or dim lights are less disruptive.
- Feel free to pitch in on the pot luck dinner by bringing a favorite dish or snack. Breakfast is on your own, so pack food for any other adventures you plan!
- Curiosity! The desert is an amazing place with animal and plant life that has adapted to thrive in arid conditions. The Preserve is a great place to experience these natural wonders.
RSVP: So we can plan properly, please RSVP on our Facebook event page or email us at email@example.com .